Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bat Path / Extension

My next segment of blogs deals with extention. Extention is simple in thaught and difficult to accomplish. I find myself teaching this less than I have in previous years. Here is why: Extention (or lack there of) is easy to see for an instructor. Because it's easy to identify, instructors immediately begin working to correct this flaw. As a younger instructor, I was guilty of doing the same thing. What I've learned after giving thousands of hitting lessons is that every phase of the swing must be correct for extention to be correct. If there is a flaw early in the swing, that flaw will translate into a bigger one later in the swing. Cutting off extention ends up being the result of several flaws earlier in the swing. The point is, when an instructor sees that extention is lacking, it is usually something earlier in the swing that needs corrected. Finally, when every phase up until contact is correct, extention can then be worked on. Tommorrow, I will post an extention video.

No comments: